Saturday, August 12, 2006

Kiteboarding with a waterproof camera

I finally tested my new Pentax Optio W10 Waterproof (up to 10 feet) Camera. This camera was recommended to me by Rob Born and Chris Moore. Rob dropped his first one in Kanaha Bay - and it sank -- so I rigged up a 'floating leash' for mine. The leash consistes of a 3 foot long piece of vinyl tubing with a shoelace run through it and a couple of pieces of heat shrink tubing at the knot where the camera is attached.
Waterproof camera with floating leash I spray painted the inside of the tube bright yellow so that when I inevitably drop it in the water -- hopefully purposefully to hand it off to a friend -- the weight of the camera will trap the air inside the tube and the whole setup will both float and be visible for retrieval. Here's a clip I took on the water at 3rd Avenue with the camera in "movie mode" - I was kiting one handed (so the clip is shaky) behind my friend Chris Moore. Quality is pretty good.
This video file was then uploaded to VideoEgg www.videoegg.com for display in this blog. click here : Pentax Optio Test Video for the video...

1 Comments:

Blogger kiteVC said...

Handoffs on te water are possible! 3 feet of vinyl tube (corked at the ends) is enough to float the camera in fresh or salt water.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home